Harelipfrog

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Cajun Chili

Gunner has requested that I post the recipe for Cajun Chili. I should point out that this is not my original recipe, but I got it from somewhere else (I just dont remember where). The really odd thing about this is that you blend the beans, so most of your texture is from the meat and tomatoes. I like it spicy.

Gunner loves this ...

Cajun Chili

2 lbs ground beef
1 C chopped onions
1 C chopped green pepper
2 cloves of garlic (med) minced or 2 tablespoons of prechopped garlic
15 oz can of pinto beans - undrained
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes - undrained - (I like a spicy tomato)
8oz can of tomato sauce
2 Tblsp chili powder
1 Tblsp honey
1 Tsp parsley flakes
1 Tsp oregano
1 Tsp ground cumin
1 Tsp crushed red pepper (optional - was not included in original recipe)
1 Tblsp cajun seasoning (of your choice - I have encountered several different kinds of "Cajun Seasoning")

In a large pot (I prefer a cast iron dutch oven), brown meat with onion, green pepper, and garlic. Meanwhile, in a blender, process beans with liquid until smooth.
Drain fat from meat; add the beans and remaining ingredients.
Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes.

2 Comments:

  • Mmmm....sounds wonderful....

    By Blogger Titusina Andronica, at 10:59 PM  

  • That's because the original Cajun seasonings were whatever was growing at the time, plus salt and pepper. Think garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery, maybe wild onions, and you have an idea of original cajun seasoning.

    Of the dry pre-mix seasonings, none of them are as good as the fresh seasonings.

    Sounds like a good recipe, though. I never thought of puree-ing the beans.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home