Harelipfrog

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Tremors

Honestly, I dont like to talk about this. In fact I have snapped at my sisters on more than one occasion when they pointed out just how bad I was on any particular day. Sorry.

Anyone who has spent much time with me (particularly in the last couple of years) will probably have observed that my hands will sometimes shake. My oldest sister once observed that she expected me to wear the hot chocolate I was trying to drink because my hands were shaking so bad. I have started taking steps to minimize the appearance of my shakes, I drink with a straw or will hold the rim of a cup in my teeth while drinking to minimize their appearance (they are currently most apparent when I am drinking out of a glass).

It's embarrassing. It also gets worse when I get upset, which results in vicious cycle.

I start to shake - I get upset about it - I shake more

My doctor finally referred me to a neurologist for a definitive diagnosis. Good News - I do not have Parkinsons - Bad News - I do have what is called an "Essential Tremor".

We are now pursuing treatment options. But it's something I will have deal with for the rest of my life.

Sorry, feeling sorry for myself.

2 Comments:

  • Oh sweetie... sorry to hear about your "Essential Tremor" diagnosis. I'd never heard of it. I don't know if this is comforting, but I didn't notice at all when you were at the bloggers meeting a couple of months ago. My thoughts are with you.

    By Blogger Kathy T., at 8:59 PM  

  • Yes, I'm running late on reading/commenting on blogs.

    Funny, I shake a lot, too, and I'm always embarassed about it as well. My dad's even worse at shakiness than I am, but I expect when I'm his age, mine will be worse as well.

    Anyway, I wanted you to know you're not alone.

    By Blogger Titusina Andronica, at 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home