Harelipfrog

Friday, August 05, 2005

More Pickles - Finally

Well, it has not been every night or two, I am sorry. Every time I think I have time to sit down and start on this something comes up.

Anyway, today's recipe is for Sweet Onion Relish. This is also from the Ortho Pickling book. My MIL says this is very good and very mild. I think it would probably be really good for hamburgers and stuff at least.

Sweet Onion Relish
12 Large Sweet Onions (I used Videllia) about 4 lbs peeled
1 tablespoon salt
2 green apples (I used Granny Smith)
2 red bell peppers
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon or 3/4 teaspoon dried (I used dried)
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon ground mace

Put onions through the medium blade of the food chopper (I diced them by hand as we don't have a food chopper) mix the chopped onions with the salt. COVER (stinks) and let stand overnight.

Press out most of the onion juice through a strainer. (The onion juice is worth saving for soup, just be sure the jar is well sealed).

Core the apples and seed the peppers. Chop finely.

Combine all he ingredients in a heavy pot and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Turn into hot sterilized jars, seal, and process for 5 minutes. (make sure you have plenty of liquid in each jar the onions are going to really soak it up). Makes 3 pints

The recipe lies. We got 18 half pints (or 9 pints) out of it, but we did have some very large onions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home