Harelipfrog

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My Birthday Present

Gunner found something for my birthday, but before I tell you what it is I need to give you a bit of background first.

Gunner and I met in 1988. He was attending college and had access to the university's computer labs. Old monochrome screened beasts with (by today's standard) almost no RAM and 5 1/2 floppies.

He got me to go with him and play games. One that we both enjoyed was a game called Larn. A D&D style game. It was great fun and we both enjoyed playing it. It had no graphics and required 2 5 1/2 inch floppies, one for the program and one for the saved file (if you had not died last time).

Time passed, and as computers became more advanced I began having problems playing the game until eventually (Windows 98) the computer could no longer properly interpret the programs code.

Since then he has been looking for an updated copy of it for me (I was a true addict).

The beginning of April he happened across Julian's ULarn Page. He claimed to have a graphics version of our old favorite (graphics!!!!). Gunner figured that it would not work as nothing else had so far, but downloaded it and gave it a try.

IT WORKS!!! (thunder in the background and they cry of the mad scientist "It Lives ... It Lives").

he he

Unfortunately it is still just as addicting as it was in 1988, and I have been spending a couple of hours every night trying to win the game (you have to get the potion to heal your dying daughter).

The guy who put it together has made it a challenge even for an old hand at Larn like myself (I had it to the point where I could win the first level in as little as 90 minutes) and I still have not managed it. However I have reached the point where it is not consuming every spare minute I can wring out of a day, and I am back to catching up on my reading and such.

Anyway, if you are so inclined, give it a shot. Have fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home